The desire for close and satisfying relationships lives within us all. Whether with an intimate partner, family, or friends, we strive for closeness, for connection. When relationships work well we feel safe, secure and whole. When they don’t, the despair we feel can impact every domain of our life.
Working with a skilled relationship counsellor can help you disentangle the knots within your relationships and develop the skills to build strong, satisfying and more harmonious connections with the people you love and care about.
Working on relationship-based distress can be done individually, as part of a couple or together as a family.
Relationship counselling can help you:
- Understand and manage complex relationship dynamics
- Build better relationships with your partner, immediate and extended family
- Explore the impact of childhood family experiences on current relationships
- Adjust to life-stage changes, such as from being a couple to becoming parents
- Resolve your indecision about the future of the relationship
- Develop skills to enhance communication
- Balance independence and togetherness within your relationship
- Address sexual and emotional intimacy issues
- Work through infidelity
- Cope with break-ups
- Strengthen adjustment to new family arrangements post-separation
- Form new and healthy relationships